WELCOME TO BURLINGTON HIGH SCHOOL!
Burlington High School has a collaborative and coordinated Ninth Grade Program that welcomes and supports students transitioning into high school. Please read more below and contact us through the School Guidance and Counseling Office at 802-864-8581 if you have any questions.
The Ninth Grade Program is designed to support Burlington High School’s commitment to high standards and equitable outcomes. Guided by teachers, and in collaboration with parents, students:
- gain strong foundational academic skills and content knowledge,
- apply this learning in creative and interdisciplinary high school-level projects,
- interact with students from a variety of backgrounds and middle schools,
- develop and practice organizational, study, technology, and social skills
- develop and practice the habits of mind essential for 21st century learners, including perseverance, risk-taking, and responsibility
- receive academic support, and
- are known well by a core group of teachers
CLASS OF 2020: GRADUATING FROM BHS WITH A PROFICIENCY-BASED DIPLOMA
For an overview of the new proficiency-based graduation requirements click here
OVERVIEW - JANUARY 28, 2016 ORIENTATION POWERPOINT
For an overview of the Ninth Grade Program click here
NINTH GRADE PROGRAM OF STUDIES
For a description of Ninth Grade Courses offered in 2016-17, please click here
Ninth Grade Orientation includes these opportunities for students and families to learn more about and transition into Burlington High School:
- January/February: School counselors meet with eighth graders at the two Burlington middle schools and from other area middle schools, and distribute course sign-up information.
- January/February: Special educators and ELL teachers from high and middle schools begin to meet to plan students’ transitions to the high school.
- January 28 at 7:00 p.m.: Parents and guardians are invited to come to BHS on to learn more about the high school, course scheduling, and the ninth grade experience.
- March 3-4: All eighth graders complete the course sign-up form for BHS classes.
- Thursday, May 26 at 7:00 p.m.: Students and parents are invited to Ninth Grade Orientation Evening to gain further information, view student schedules, and tour the campus.
- Pre-Season Fall Sports: August 15 for football; August 18 for all other sports.
- Wednesday, August 31: A special “first day of school” is designed to welcome and orient ninth grade students to BHS. 10-12th graders report the next day, September 1.